Upcoming Events in Hillsborough County Public Schools
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (December 6, 2017) – These upcoming events are happening in Hillsborough County Public Schools or involve district students over the next two weeks:
- Thursday, December 7, 9:15 a.m. – Students Tour USF St Pete Campus – 40-50 English Language Learners and Migrant students from Shields Middle School will board a bus headed for the USF St Pete campus. The students will tour the campus and be able to talk with professors and college students. This is a possible game changer for these students to see a potential future path for post-secondary education. Media can meet at USF St Pete campus to talk to students and staff.
- Thursday, December 7,12:30 p.m. - Town and Country STEM Innovation Hub – At an event that will include STEM demonstrations by students from multiple schools, seven schools (Leto HS, Pierce MS, Webb MS, Dickenson ES, Morgan Woods ES, Town and Country ES and Woodbridge ES) will be receiving $5,000 checks - a donation totally $35,000 - from the Brink Foundation to enhance STEM opportunities at each school. The event will be at Leto High School, located at 4409 W. Sligh Ave., Tampa.
- Friday, December 8, 10 a.m. – Winter Fest - Wharton High School students will welcome elementary students from surrounding schools for a fun event of games and prizes that will begin their future connection to their neighborhood high school. Wharton High School, 20150 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., Tampa
- Friday, December 8, 5:30 p.m. – 10th Annual East Tampa Tree Lighting – Students from Edison, Lockhart, Oak Park and Lomax Elementary Schools, as well as Young Middle School and Middleton High School will perform musical selections during the tree lighting ceremony. School Board Vice Chair Tamara Shamburger will participate in the program. Cyrus Green Community Center, 2101 E. Dr. MLK Jr. Blvd., Tampa
- Tuesday, December 12, 10:30-11:30 a.m. – Surprise Holiday Giving Event, Amazon makes a surprise holiday donation to Wimauma Elementary School. The school is located at 5709 Hickman St., Wimauma
- Wednesday, December 13, 11-12:30 p.m. – Dance Performance - a dance team from the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind will perform at Young Middle Magnet School. Young is home to the district’s only American Sign Language program for middle school students. Some members of the dance team are from the Tampa Bay area. Afterwards, students will be able to interact with the dancers, allowing Young students to practice their sign language skills.
- Thursday, December 14, 8:15-9:15 a.m. – Celebrate Literacy – At Kimbell Elementary School, School Board member Tamara Shamburger will join State Representative Shawn Harrison and Tampa City Councilman Frank Reddick to share the importance of reading to a class of 3rd graders. The students will also get to pick out books donated by Representative Harrison. Kimbell is located at 8406 N. 46th St., Tampa
- Friday, December 15, 5:30-7:30 p.m. – Student Art Show – Students from Franklin Boys Preparatory Academy and Greco Middle School are partnering with Forward Thinking Initiatives, a Tampa Bay non-profit that teaches entrepreneurship and creative thinking to teens, to create a unique art show. The art show will be held at the Carolyn M. Wilson Gallery on the USF campus, 13001 USF S. Laurel Drive. The USF School of Art and Art History has been working with the students to develop their concepts, art work and artist statements.
- Soles Shaping Souls: Eighth grader's mission to provide shoes to kids is off and running
- King cadets celebrate at military ball and honor retiring Captain
- Tempting Tastebuds at the 9th Annual Fresh Flavors Food Show -School lunch is not what it used to be-
- Slither and splash your way to Nature’s Classroom at open house this Saturday
- Board Members in the Community: April 26 - May 2