IB Students from Hillsborough County Public Schools Outperform Other Students
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (July 6, 2017) – Hillsborough County Public Schools IB students rank higher than similar students around the world, as shown by recently released International Baccalaureate Diploma rates. The district’s four IB Diploma Programmes had a very strong year and have much to celebrate.
This level of excellence from these schools has become a trend in HCPS as diploma rates for students in the IB Diploma Programmes have ranged impressively from 92% to 100% over the last four years.
Here is the breakdown by school:
- Hillsborough High School increased to 97%, up 1 percentage point from last year
- King High School maintained its 90%+ diploma rate for the past five years by posting a 92% diploma rate this year
- Robinson High School maintained a 95%
- Strawberry Crest High School increased to 96%, up from 94%
According to the International Baccalaureate Organization, the U.S. pass-rate is currently 66.69% and the Global pass-rate is currently 78.40%. Attaining the IB diploma puts Hillsborough County Public Schools students ahead of their peers, garnering the attention of college admissions directors at prestigious universities.
To receive an IB diploma, a student must pass oral and written exams at the end of their senior year, complete community service hours, and write a college level essay. The level of rigor placed on these students demands a unique commitment to academics. The IB Diploma Programme helps students develop critical-thinking, independent learning and research skills.
“I continue to be impressed at the level of dedication and commitment to excellence shown by our students. The IB Diploma Programme is an academically challenging program that takes a great deal of time and hard work. These students now stand out when applying for college or a university,” said Jeff Eakins, Superintendent, Hillsborough County Public Schools.
- Burrito could win Bloomingdale students $55,000
- Board Members in the Community: April 23
- Start Spreading the News: Durant performs at Carnegie Hall in New York City
- HCPSProud: District recognizes students, educators and community members for excellence
- HABSE connects with Brandon Chamber to offer Hillsborough School discount for The Taste of Brandon tickets