Hillsborough High School Celebrates 130 Years
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (April 7, 2016) –Students, staff, alumni, and community members will come together for “Decades of Greatness”, celebrating the 130th anniversary of Hillsborough High School on Saturday, April 9, 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
During the “Decades of Greatness” celebration, a time capsule will be filled and buried in the school’s Positive Park, tours of the campus will be offered, as well as entertainment by the Hillsborough High School band. Tampa Police Chief Eric Ward, a Hillsborough High School alumnus, will be a guest speaker.
In 1886, at a cost of $4,735, the School Board erected a “modern” eight-room school building to house the growing population of school children in Tampa. The school, the original Hillsborough High School, was located on 6th Avenue. It was the first school in the district to offer “an organized, high school curriculum.”
The current Hillsborough High School was completed in September 1928 at a cost of $757,000. The school was one of the four largest high schools in the South. The massive red brick building was designed in the Gothic Revival style by local architect Francis Kennard.
The first students at the new school were enrolled in September 1928. Mr. F. J. Spaulding was principal until he left in 1933 to become the president at the University of Tampa. Mr. Vivian Gaither succeeded him and remained the principal for 33 years.
In 1949, the clock in the tower was purchased to honor those who lost their lives in World War II. A list of names of Hillsborough High School graduates who died in the war was placed on a plaque at the bottom of the tower.
The Hillsborough High School Alumni Association is proud to commemorate this milestone and encourages alumni, family, and friends to join them as they celebrate 130 years of preparing students for life.
The program will start at 1 p.m. in the auditorium for any media interested in attending part of the event.