Gifted Fast Facts #23
What is Gifted Student Education?
Gifted Student Education describes the services and programs schools provide to meet the special needs of gifted learners.
How is a child selected for Gifted Student Education?
There are clearly defined procedures that guide the school’s Child Study Team through the process of screening and evaluating students who are potentially gifted. Initial screening using existing data allows for all students to be considered as possible candidates for gifted identification, with additional screening occurring when a student evidences potential giftedness. Additionally, a student may be nominated for additional screening by a parent or other individual who suspects potential giftedness. Through the screening process, necessary data is collected for guiding further evaluation and eligibility determination.
The eligibility requirements are defined in State Rule 6A-6.03019. According to State Board Rule a student is eligible for gifted program services if the student demonstrates:
- Need for a special program,
- A majority of characteristics of gifted students according to a standard scale or checklist, and
- Superior intellectual development as measured by an intelligence quotient of two standard deviations above the mean on an individually administered standardized test of intelligence.
Additionally, Hillsborough County Public Schools has a State-approved district-wide plan to increase participation of under-represented groups in programs for gifted students. The State defines under-represented groups as groups who are limited English proficient, or who are from a low socio-economic status family.
Further information about Florida’s gifted eligibility rule can be found at https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ruleNo.asp?ID=6A-6.03019
How does Gifted Student Education differ from the general educational program?
Students served in the gifted program have an Educational Plan developed to address their learning strengths. Florida’s Frameworks for K-12 Gifted Learners http://www.fldoe.org/bii/Gifted_Ed/ guide curricular modifications of Florida Standards to create an appropriate level of challenge for gifted students. Curricular modifications for gifted learners are designed to address the need for more complex tasks, exposure to a broadened scope of information, an emphasis on multiple perspectives, more rapid pace of instruction, a greater focus on higher order thinking skills, and more sophisticated products/performances.
What are the benefits of Gifted Student Education?
- Gifted Educational Plans are developed to address the gifted student’s individual needs (psychosocial, emotional, physical and academic).
- Gifted Educational Plans are implemented by a professional staff with specialized training in understanding the nature and needs of gifted learners.
- Opportunities are provided for gifted students to interact with gifted peers.
For additional information, contact your child’s school or the Hillsborough County Public Schools Gifted Department