Consultant Selection Process - Continuing Service Contracts
REVISED September 6, 2017
Florida Statute 287.055, a.k.a. the “Consultant’s Competitive Negotiations Act” (CCNA) prescribes methods by which professional services of architects, engineers, land surveyors, and construction managers must be procured. District Policy 6330 comports with the CCNA. The process is detailed in graphical form.
Described herein is a process whereby the public interest is advanced by the identification and selection of the best-qualified professional construction consultants.
On occasions when professional services may be required on a continuing basis, these services must be publicly announced by the publication of a legal notice in various local newspapers. The advertisement will include a general description of each work activity, including project scope and budget, if available, along with instructions on how additional information may be obtained.
The additional information will include the submission requirements for consideration and the specific criteria on which submissions will be evaluated.
The competitive selection process involves two successive reviews. The first review is focused on submitted materials, references, and past experience. Sub-consultants and project staff assignments shall be identified in the submitted materials. Specific submittal requirements are located here: Standardized Submittal Requirements
During the first review, the committee shall evaluate, in a uniform and consistent manner, each applicant’s submitted materials. For each applicant, the committee shall:
- Confirm that each Applicant has clearly identified their area of expertise and the item(s) of service on which they are proposing.
- Evaluate the materials submitted, and/or on file, from each applicant including the confirmation that the firm possesses the necessary professional license or registrations necessary to perform the work. Roofing/Waterproofing applicants must be either a registered Roof Consultant (RRC), Roof Observer (RRO), Waterproofing Consultant (RWC) or registered Building Envelope Consultant (RBEC) as issued by RCI, Inc.
- At the committee’s discretion, contact references to confirm prior experience of each applicant.
- Review performance evaluation data on file, and/or discuss with District staff the applicant’s prior performance.
- Generate and report a score for each applicant based upon the evaluation of their submission. (The score sheet, including criteria and associated weights, can be found here: Evaluation Criteria Score Sheet)
The scores from the first review shall be used to identify firms to be invited for a second review. The highest scoring firms from the first review shall be invited to meet with the committee for the second review. At the District’s discretion, a firm may be awarded more than one (1) category of work.
The second review is accomplished by interviews with the finalists from the first review, focusing on the qualifications, approach, and ability of each interviewed firm. Guidelines for the interviews are located here: Interview Guidelines
The interviews will result in a ranked list of no fewer than three firms in each of the three (3) categories.
Contract negotiations will be held with the top-ranked firms from the competitive selection phase. The goal of the negotiations will be to establish a level of fair compensation for the services identified in the standardized contract documents. Compensation shall be consistent with that paid on comparable projects.
Factors affecting the compensation include size and complexity of the proposed project.
At the conclusion of successful contract negotiations, a contract will be presented to the School Board for approval.
All consultant agreements shall be based on contract documents prepared by the District. Contracts will strictly follow the form in the contract templates included with District standards located here. All contract document forms shall be reviewed and approved by the Board’s attorney prior to use. Engineering and Consulting Agreements will be full-service.